Look What I made:)

Friday, April 18, 2008

Put Your Problems in a Box, and Smash Them With a Hammer!!! Or, to Save on Postage....


High School kids are, well, they're high schoolers! I had to go to the high school to teach 2, ninety-minute classes in a row to groups of about 85 kids. They were so terrible, everything I said, they came back with a retort, I tried to talk to them about milk, and they yelled out that milk causes breast cancer. The biggest problem was, the teachers were not helping at all with crowd control. I was the sacrificial intern and they were the evil priests! The first thought that came to mind, was that of my favorite villain, Yzma, "I'll turn them all into fleas, I'll put them in a box, and then I'll put that box into another box. Then I'll mail that box to myself, and SMASH IT WITH A HAMMER!" Then I thought that might not be such a good idea, so, "to save on postage, I decided to take charge!" you would all be so proud of me, I have never been so up front with anyone, usually I let people walk all over me. Not today my friends! I told them to ZIP IT! This is so unlike me I know! I gave them the riot act, and told them they were being extremely disrespectful, I told them not to make a comment unless it related directly to what we were talking about--and even then they had to raise their hand FIRST! They were stunned, I must admit I was too. After that, no postage or hammers were required, we actually had a great time and they all thanked me for a great presentation. I had really worked hard on that presentation. I made a really fun game--which they loved, and really interesting learning activities, it's not like I was going to make them just sit and listen. So, the moral of today's story, is: Save yourself some postage, stick up for yourself! You're worth it!






5 comments:

Jennie said...

Go Julie!! I am so proud!! I am going to take a lesson from this and try to stand up for myself more. Wahooo!!

Renee said...

Oh, I'm so sorry! I'm glad you stuck up for yourself... it sounds like it all turned out great.

We got your invite, and unfortunately can't attend, but we are soooo proud of you and happy for your whole family.

Niesja said...

I love you Julie, I laughed so hard! AHHHHH High school, wish I could forget that part of my life! Anyway, glad you got some guts girl, you did it!

Dori Montoya said...

Yeah Julie!!!!!! I wish I could have seen it! I'm so proud of you! Although I never really thought of you as someone who let people walk all over you, so I can totally see you doing this! You've inspired me!

Renee said...

Hopefully you'll get this soon... where are you?! Anyway, Happy Mother's Day to you, one of the best moms I know. I hope your family waits on you head to toe today and makes you feel like a queen!