Look What I made:)

Thursday, October 30, 2008

Taxi!
















The American Dietetic Association had their yearly conference this year in Chicago, and I had the opportunity to attend with Dietary Consultants Inc. For my research at the UK I am looking into the resting metabolic rate of frail elderly using indirect calorimetry, and the wonderful ladies I am working with were presenting at the pre-FNCE conference. We had so much fun! We stayed at the Intercontinental Hotel right on Michigan Ave., just across the river of the Magnificent Mile. We were right next to the Spider-Man building--the Chicago Tribune historical building.


One morning at about 6:00, my friend and I took a taxi to attend a "raisin breakfast." The California Raisin Co., was sponsoring a lovely catered breakfast for dietitians at the conference and we decided to go, we didn't get far before trouble found us. We were just passing the Sears Tower when we turned left onto Jackson St. and I looked out my window to see a terrifying sight! There was a car coming right at my door! My friend was looking out the other window and didn't see it coming, I'll tell you what, there are few things as scary as thinkin your life is about to end--I truly did think I wasn't going to walk away from that Taxi. I screamed and the next thing I knew I was thrown across the backseat of the taxi when the other car slammed into our car right where I was sitting. Luckily no one was seriously hurt, I just got a massive bruise up my right arm, a cut on my knee and some whiplash. The worst part was the run in my last pair of nylons (ha! ha! ha!) We did get out of the car okay and made it to our breakfast, but it was a scary experience which required some serious decompressing afterward.


The night before our raisin breakfast escapade we had the marvelous opportunity to hear from Chris Gardner, the author of the Pursuit of Happyness. If you ever get the chance to meet or hear him speak--jump on it! It was likely the finest and most moving presentation I've attended. It's rare to hear from someone who really gets what life is all about!


Just by a lucky co-inky-dink, my dad was in Chicago for business at the same time. I was able to catch up with him and we had a great dinner at Portillos. If any of you know my dad you know what a funny guy he is!

3 comments:

islandgirl said...

First off those pictures are great, and I can't believe how amazing you look. Your taxi experience probably has to be one of the most frightening moments of your life. I'm sure it gives you a new perspective on life. The one accident I was in, thankfully I was looking down and didn't see it coming. But it still was an amazing experience to be able to walk away from it relatively unscathed.

Jennie said...

I'm so glad you're ok!! You go to the most amazing places and do the most amazing things. You are incredible!!

Renee said...

We love Chicago!