Look What I made:)

Friday, October 10, 2008

What Does It Mean When You're Allergic to Your Wedding Ring?


Almost a year ago now, I started showing signs of some pretty serious contact dermatitis under my wedding band--hmmmm, okay. So, I took it off for a week or so and put lotion on it until it healed up. Within 24 hours of putting my ring back on, WHAM! my finger broke out again! ARGH! Well, this time I left it off for a longer period of time to really let it heal, to no avail, my darn finger not only broke out this time, it also left some lovely sores where my ring was. As we all understand what a HUGE pain it is to get in to see the doctor, I put it off and put it off until finally my poor hubby started feeling shunned at my naked finger. I finally made an appointment with the dermatologist only to be told that I am allergic to NICKEL--yep! Nickel! Guess what, all gold and white gold bands have nickel in them--so much for ever being able to wear my wedding ring again.


So, my question is this..... Is this an omen??? --Just Kiddin'---I love my sweetie!


The horrible, terrible bad news is this....I have to get an "ooh, la, la" platinum wedding ring. Yes, I know! The prospect is horrible I must admit:) We finally found an victorian style band that was just lovely, I fell instantly in love with it! We bought it and I wore it for about 2 weeks! It was a glorious two weeks, it sparkled and sparkled..I was a princess. This princess took Zachary to the orthodontist only to be told that he would have to have braces, again, on the top and the bottom. This bill would only run at $4,500--and that's after my insurance pays for half of it. So, my ring went back to the store...good bye princess Julie, hello brace-face Zachary:) He's such a handsome brace-face too.


Anywhoooo....to make a long story short....don't judge someone's marital status by their finger, you never know, they could be allergic to nickel, have a son with really expensive teeth, and a desire to not rack up a $10,000 bill just to have a sparkle on their finger. I'm seriously contemplating a yellow Sharpie to the ring finger, what do you think, would it look real?

3 comments:

Niesja said...

Julie,

I am so proud of you! What a sacrifice for your children! You are an amazing Mom and only when they have kids of thier own will they even come to slightly realize what you just did for them!

I love you so much and even though they didn't like me for Deal or no Deal, if I was on there, I would have gotten you the biggest wedding ring in teh world!

Love you!

Dori Montoya said...

What a good Mommy! Braces Again, isn't that the third time? I bet you were a beautiful princess for those two weeks.

Jennie said...

Try clear fingernail polish on the inside of your ring- it worked for some of the customers at the jewelry store. You are amazing-I only gave up fake fingernails for braces (so far!!!) and that sucked-can't even imagine fine jewels!!! Love ya and miss ya!!